Saturday 9 January 2010

Surviving Almaty

I have just been to the national musem of Kazak instrument in Almaty. I am here to chase visas so figured i would make the most of it an see some sights while i was here. I emerge from the warm building and step back into the snow. Across the way is the war second world war memorial. It is a stricking momument with all off the nations of the former USSR represented. Set someway in front of this is an eternal flame. I take a rather arty picture of the monument through the flame and then decide to take a walk through the park behind....


I here a voice call out and see a policeman beckoning me over. This will be the second passport check in two days as he asks for my papers. My visa is in order so i dont really anticipate any trouble. He keeps my visa and motions for me to walk with him. He takes me back to where i had just taken the photo. Apparently there is a porblem because i put my foot on the base of the monument to take the photo. I appoligise profusly for my mistake but he wont buy it. He wants to take me to the police station. Now i start to drag my heals.


He takes me and points to a CCTV camera implying that he has evidence. The camera points the wrong way i and i severley doubt it still has the ability to rotate to have filmed me accidently placing one foot on the monument. He wants me to walk with him but i want to keep this in the open. He asks me if i am carry narcotics or a rifle. I smile and say no. He wants me to open my bag. Now i sense that he really has nothing and that he is just fishing. I hold my ground, saying i cant give him the money now starts demanding as i dont have any.


I am starting to shiver now from standing around in the cold. The same questions, the same answers. He has nothing on me and he knows that i know this. Its rather like a poker game- whose is going to call bluff.


Eventaully he tires of my bad Russian and decides i am not worth his effort. I somewhat cheekily offer to shake his hand as he lets me go. Crooked cop nil Emrys one!

1 comment: