Saturday 3 October 2009

A border crossing

The sign in front of me reads "Azerbajian border" 1km. I stop and decide to do a qucick repack. I have heard various reports of some rather shifty guards at this broder crossing and there is not much in my pack i really want to loose. I put my money belt on, though i am sure they can find that if they want it. I try and stash my camera so its buried in my bag. Knowing the anal-retentiveness of Austrlias quaratine officials i eat the kilo or so of grapes i have been given eariler that day. I put my passport in my pocket and strap myself on the bike.

I reach the Georgian side of the border. The official puts my passport under the scanner. "look at the camera" he says. Well i assume that is what he says to me as he points the webcam at me. I smile benarly. "Australia" he says, "Harry Kewel" he says and i try and look like i haven't heard it before. He hands my passport back with a smile and i try to remount the bike without falling off in front of him and wiping out the person waiting behind me. I wobble off to the Azerbajian side. A que of rusting Ladas and Mostvitchs wait on the bridge while a man with an assult rifle gaurds the gate. A rather drunk man gets out from behind the drivers seat of one and begins the usual set of questions. I try and balance on the bike as the poke it and shake the trailer.

I am eventaully ushered into the line for the booth. A man takes my passport and it dissperes. Never a good sign. I wait a little nervously and try to stay dry as as the rain starts to come down. I am trying to go thorough any "problems" they might find. I am pretty sure its in order. 10 mins later i am handed it back. 1 Azeri stamp included. I move towards the customs. I am trying to remember where i hid the 10kgs of heroin...... I hand over my passport and it dissaperes again. A man emerges and beacons be to a table.
I am so not going to unpack.
His boss calls him.
He decides i am not worth the bother and motions me off.
Another gaurd with a Kalisnakov opens the gate and i am off on my Azeri adventure....

No comments:

Post a Comment