Saturday 3 October 2009

The good the bad and the Ugly

Its my first day in Azerbajian. 1st things 1st i need a bit of money so i can by some food. I rock into Balakan. Lonely planet describes it as a little sleepy but it seems busy enough to me. I try the first ATM. "Cannot dispense funds". Time to try another. 20mins of ridding around and i am no closer to finding another bank. A voice in a Moskvitch calls out "Bank" i say making a circling motion "around here"? His car does a U turn and i follow.

We find a bank. Somehow though i end up with 40 mannet in one mannet notes. So now i have a wad of cash like a mafia boss to try and conceal. He also finds me a hotel but it is well beyond my budget. He speaks a little English and with a little to ing and froing he invites me back to his place. I am very grateful as the rain is starting to hose down. We share a meal and i try to learn about Azeri culture as best i can before i tumble into a wonderful bed. The ( very) good

The sunny weather of the previous day has gone and that night it hammers down. I wake to see the storm has yet to pass. I thank my hosts as best i can as i put on my waterproofs. The rain heaves too and the passing Kamaz trucks do a good job of picking it back up again to hurl at me. My hands are cold and my nice yellow pack looks like it has taken a dive in a mud wrestling pit. Its going to be one of those days.......The bad

A new country means new bactria for you to adjust too. It could have just waited till it wasn't pouring with rain. Sparing deatails but my second day in Azerbajian was spent in pain. The Ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment