Wednesday 23 September 2009

The Follow Dog

I have made the steep climb to Sumella monestary. Its sites on a small plateau high above the town of Gergeti. This day i am lucky. I have a clear view of the both the town below and the towering Mt Kazbegi behind me.
I begin the climb up to one of the Glciers, about as high as you can go without Crampons and Trostkys ice pick. As i start the climb i hear a patter behind me. Look around to see a dog coming up the hill. She comes up to me, gives me a lick then runs ahead wagging her tail as if to show me the way. Surprised, I follow. We walk together up the mountain, sometimes she is behind me sometimes in front.
She looks rather skinny and i feel i should somehow pay her for her services. I stop for a break on a rock. I throw her some sultanans and hazelnuts from my scroggin. She sniffs at them but doesnt eat them. Beagers cant be choosers i think as i throw her s chunk of my sassauge which she eats quickly.
We continue up the hill and i put my jumper on as i notice tiny flakes on snow falling. Its a magical site as the sun shines and the snow falls. My companion doesnt seem to fussed by it all, just waits patiently for me as i take a photo. We reach the snow line and there are patches of metling snow all around. I wonder how her geet will cope.
The Glacier comes into view along with the towering Mt Kazbegi. I stop again for some photos. Eventually i reach the point where the snow and ice are getting a bit too much for my boots. I find a dry patch and sit down for some lunch. My Friend and i share the best part of a stick of metwurst and a good hunk of cheese. I sit back to admire the view while she moved away and curls up near a rock. Alas shedoesnt have thermals and a jacket like me. I take pitty or here and decide to get moving once again.

We begin the descent. The weather has turned a little and it is getting quite cold with the mist is rolling. We have decended a few hundred meters when my friend ambles to the edge of the spur. She just sits there looking out into the mist. I whistle. She looks at me but stays where she is- looking intently down into the revine. And its there that i left her, sitting pearched on a rock waiting to guide the next hiker up the mountain......

No comments:

Post a Comment